CALIFORNIA CITY – City Council will appoint a new member of the council selected from a field of six who submitted letters of intent for the position. A special meeting will be held at 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 20 for interviews and final selection.
Each applicant will have five minutes to present to the City Council and the public, their thoughts as to why they should be appointed to the vacant position, according to the agenda. Under Government Code 36512(b) the council has discretion in deciding who they will appoint, as long as the person meets the general requirements for council members. Once made, the appointment would be effective immediately following the vote.
Council and public will hear the presentations, after which time questions may be asked. The Council will then discuss and make an appointment to fill the Council vacancy. The term for this appointment runs until the next General Election in November 2020.
• James Creighton - retired Air Force senior master sergeant and retired Edwards Air Force Base civil service employee who currently serves as chairman of the California City Planning Commission.
• Carolinda Fleming - community youth volunteer, writer, web designer and desktop graphic arts technicia, vice chair of the park and recreation commissioners board member of the Mojave Unified School District Parent Advisory Council, board member of the California City Community Club, member of the California City Host Lion’s Club, board member of California City Chamber Of Commerce and team mom for California City High School varsity boys back-2-back CIF championship basketball team.
• Kathryn Efford-Floyd - real estate broker, mortgage broker and paralegal and founder and senior pastor of California City Christian Center and Eagle’s Way Academy.
• Ron Smith - pastor of Victory Baptist Church, volunteer prison chaplain at California City Correctional Facility and volunteer fire chaplain for City of California City Fire Department.
• Albert Mendoza - communications electrician, former computer applications and software operations teacher and former property property manager, commercial leasing and residential leasing and sales person.
• LaMiya Patrick-Walker - data entry specialist, former personal care assistant and medical assistant and former private security dispatcher and customer service representative.
The position was left vacant following the resignation of former Council Member Tami Marie Johnson due to health concerns.